Re: First release of MAS available

Hey,

> > I get the feeling that you are arguing the case of "if there was one
> > really good audio server, we would all be using it and there would only be
> > One True Interface".
>
> No, I'm saying "the solution to people disagreeing is not to avoid making
> a decision".

Well, I think "going with a layer" can be construed as a decision.
Whether it is a bad or good one is another point, but it is a decision.

> People are never going to agree on one really good audio
> server, but putting time into trying to accomodate disagreement by being
> configurable does not advance the technology - it's just not productive.

No,  but if you're serious about using apps, then having five
best-of-breed-apps for each function, each with different output systems,
is not productive either.

> > I use Red Hat, which of course is a system you know, and Red Hat, as far
> > as I can make out, uses OSS by default.  While, if I understand correctly,
> > you still argue for EsounD in it's current form.
> I don't have any love for esound, it just works well enough to not be
> worth the cost of replacing it with the other similarly bad
> alternatives...

I wouldn't know, AFAIK I haven't had any "ding" sounds in redhat since
7.0, which kind of makes a point on it's own as well.

> > I'm not convinced by your argument that promotes the "choose one and stick
> > to it" if it's obvious that people like you and me, who have a pretty good
> > idea about the pro's and con's, in their actual daily usage have two
> > conflicting output systems out of the box already.  My Gnome theoretically
> > would be using esd, but my system comes with OSS.
>
> They don't conflict, though.

Hm; if an app uses OSS, and the driver doesn't do software mixing, how can
esd interject ding sounds while my xmms is playing ?

> > This isn't meant derogatory
>
> If you're going to call me a backseat driver, just go ahead and do it, I
> can deal. ;-)

Haha, that was exactly the point I was trying not to make :-) If anyone is
the backseat driver here it's me; I was aiming at expressing the good
kind of backseat driving :)

Thomas

I'm alive.
I can tell because of the pain.
<-*- thomas  (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->