Re: First release of MAS available

On 24 Jan 2003, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:

> > Will cause tons of circular dependencies, much pain, and unnecessary
> > bloat.
>
> What circular dependencies? gnome apps depend on gstreamer core, only
> gstreamer MAS plugin depens on MAS.

I was wrong there.

> > gstreamer is a media framework, not a sound server. Gnome-in-general needs
> > only a sound server, not a media framework, and IIRC media frameworks such
> > as gstreamer are missing features necessary to adopt them as replacements
> > for the sound server functionality that esound provides.
>
> Well the question is if asking apps to depend on gstreamer is a lesser evil
> than needing to maintain two sets of sounds system interfaces.

Which two interfaces are you referring to that you think would need to be
maintained?

> > What reasons do you see making important to use gstreamer from all gnome
> > apps to generate the sound events?
> One place to maintain support for sound systems
> and one place of sound system configuration would be my major arguments.

Although gstreamer may be different, for Gnome, it's not important to be
able to have configurable support for multiple sound systems, only to
integrate well with one good one (hopefully MAS).

Also, if the gstreamer solution makes sense, it makes sense whether or not
MAS is useful.

Also, depending on gstreamer will may introduce portability issues for
Gnome, due to cothreads. Will it?

Also, we will need sound server-specific configuration in Gnome whether or
not gstreamer is used (to control startup and things like that).

I think we both agree that simpler is better, I'm just not seeing using
the gstreamer layer as helping simplicity at all,
-- Elliot