Re: More information on MAS

Good list of why we need synchronization in media streams, Bill.

May I also add the DAISY Digital Talking Book as another? Audio and/or text titles are already in distribution to blind patrons through library services
in Sweden, the U.K., Japan, the U.S., and elsewhere. The next iteration of these SMIL based specs will likely become the basis of curricular materials
distribution for print disabled studends (K-12) in the U.S. In fact, ACB, AFB, NFB and the Association of American Publishers have come to agreement on
a legislated solution that was proposed in our Congress last year. The legislation, known as the Instructional Materials Accessibility Act (IMAA) has
again been introduced in the current Congress and can be tracked, day to day, at:

http://www.afb.org/textbooks.asp

One result of last year's attempt to pass this law is the formation of a study group by our Department of Education and chaired by CAST:

http://www.cast.org/ncac/index.cfm?i=3138

In fact there's tremendous opportunity here for leadership in the development of good software tools. Some key points:

*	The basis of the Digital Talking Book is open file and markup specifications from the W3C, particularly XML and SMIL. Current deployments use
DAISY 2.02, and the next iteration of these specifications has already been completed and approved as ANSI Z39.86-2002:

	http://www.daisy.org/publications/specifications.asp

	The sole exception is the lack of an open audio compression protocol in the ANSI spec--but there is movement toward adopting OGG-Vorbis, or
perhaps more appropriately Speex:

		http://www.speex.org

*	All user agents and authorinig tools currently available to read or produce DAISY content are proprietary, though there is interest in the
DAISY Consortium to move into open source particularly with their need to support dissemination of this powerful technology to emerging nations. There
is, in fact.

*	It is already evident that the DAISY technology is attracting main stream publishing interest. The first U.S. Government document to use DAISY
2.02 was released last spring. The first commercial audiobook title will be released in March by AOL/Time-Warner Audio Books.

*	The mainstream publishing industry is short on integrated authoring tools for producing any kind of multimedia content, let alone DAISY. Most
publishers are still using Quark, and they don't have nice things to say about it. If you know Quark and how it's used in publishing, you know that it's
focused squarely on paper printing.

I raise all of this because most often conversations about "multimedia" don't think in terms of books. That's a mistake, and I think a big mistake. I
will stop for now. But were I to continue I could develop arguments suggesting that non-entertainment is a bigger commercial opportunity for multimedia
publishing. Some ideas about why are in the paper I coauthored with George Kerscher entitled "Surpassing Gutenberg:"

http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp