Re: gnome-help (yelp) and info/manual pages

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 19:07 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
> After upgrading to Fedora Core 3 w/ GNOME 2.8, I can no longer use
> commands like
>
> yelp info:cat
>
> or
>
> gnome-help man:cat
>
> to display info or manual pages. Why?

In Gnome 2.6, the document transformation system was changed in Yelp.
This resulted in much faster and nicer DocBook conversions, which is
Yelp's primary purpose.  The existing man and info converters weren't
using the new transformation system, so they were disabled.

The number of people who have complained about this is staggeringly
high.  Apparently, people want their man pages back more than they'd
like something modern, like full search capabilities.

At the current rate of development, it's likely that man pages will be
enabled for 2.10, but info probably will not.  Of course, this is all
contingent on how much further work goes into both before the freeze.
As a rule, I don't make feature promises.

--
Shaun