Re: gnome version? gnome2? non-GUI choose a wm?

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> There is really no such concept. Any given GNOME release is a collection
> of packages of differing version numbers. A lot of these packages can be
> upgraded at different times without too much harm (in fact, that is a
> requirement in the GNOME 2.0.x branch -- API and ABI backwards
> compatibility.
>
> Furthermore, you can run applications linked against GNOME 1 libraries
> in a GNOME 2 environment. See, for example, Evolution.
>
> So, really, you need to phrase your question differently. What are you
> trying to differentiate between?
>
> Far from being worried, that is a good thing. Every package that depends
> upon libgnome for GNOME 2 uses ~/.gnome2 and ~/.gnome2_private for
> storing user-specific data. Applications that rely upon GNOME 1
> libraries, as well as gnome-vfs in GNOME 2 (which does not depend upon
> libgnome) will use ~/.gnome and friends.

After installing Gnome and a number of related apps (Office for example), I
must have about 8x the number of dot-files and dot-directories in my home
directory as I once had.  I'll leave all the .gnome* stuff alone but it
would be nice to reduce the clutter :)

> > [2] Is there a non-GUI way (i.e. before running startx) to select what windows manager I want to use?
> Export the WINDOW_MANAGER environment variable before starting
> gnome-session (so either in ~/.xinitrc or ~/.gnomerc or ~/.xsessionrc.
> Malcolm

Could you be more specific about what this export(ing) involves?

Do I run a setenv command and then startx?  Or do I scout Google for some
sample ~/.gnomerc and ~/.xsessionrc files (of which I have neither)?

Does it matter that in my /etc/ttys I have ttyv8 as cons25 and off, and
that (by the way) I used to have xdm -nodaemon and off specified for the
same ttyv8??  Still lost.  Could you elaborate please?

> gnome-list mailing list
> gnome-list gnome org

Really appreciate it, thanks.

--