CORBA

  Hi...I'm new to the list, and only somewhat sure I'm posting to the applicable one.
  My question is about some uncertain thing which has been thrown at me called CORBA.  It seems to mean 'Common Object Request Broker Architecture (Object Management Group)', but that means very little to me.  I receive, in the shell, the message 'Failed to obtain CORBA authentication cookie, exiting' when I (attempt to) execute such things as:
  gnome-panel-add-launcher
  gnome-panel-properties-capplet

  Any pertinent and remotely helpful info is asked for.

-denis