Re: The future of gnome-pim - and Balsa, too?

awilliam whitemice org (2001-08-13 at 1215.48 -0400):
> Why does the Palm and every other PIM support E-mail, calendar, contact
> info, and task lists?  Because these all fall into the same problem
> domain,  I'd be happy if Evolution and Gnome Meeting / telephony merged.
> That as well is the same problem domain.  Communication and
> communication related information.  I don't see how anyone can logically
> seperate there e-mail from their contact list and their project list.
> One app or multiple utilities,  makes no real difference in the end,
> the problem of personal-information/communication integration needs to
> be solved.

Word processor should be integrated, cos you send docs to others, and
you have to know when to finish them. Image processor too, for the
same reason, but in a design environment instead of text office. IRC
and IM too, they are about communication. You can keep integrating, I
am sure there will find a reason for everything, even videogames (send
screenshot of your latest problem so your friend can tell you how to
solve the quiz?). ;]

Which drives me to "users should integrate what they need", not always
the same, so the solution should be global level, not just "cos I need
it integrated this way you are goint to do it too". That is why "Unix
grandpas" dislike these new things, and why "new lusers" are taken as
dumb: there is one way imposed, and it is hard to create / discover
new, thus ones do not want to be limited and others are unable to be
creative (or worse, when they try, they are punished with errors).

As some say, in CLI you have pipes, scripts and other personal (or
shared among friends or downloaded from archives) tools, in GUI that
has not been solved yet, or at least I have not seen any example.

GSR

PS: Note the '"' around some words, no offence intended.