Re: move window to another workspace?

aramos ramostechnology com said:
> I am going to follow on to that question with a related one:
> I want to open several windows at login time.  I want to be able to
> put the windows in each of four workspaces.

> Example:

> I need to demo a software product on my laptop.  When I log in as
> 'demo' I want all the necessary windows to open up in the appropriate
> workspaces so that demo is ready to begin?

> How can I script this so that it starts automatically on login?  Is
> this a sawfish thing or a gnome thing?  Can someone point me in the
> right direction?

You can do this with sawfish - Select the Sawfish-> 'Matched Windows' section
from the gnome control center. For each of your windows, click on Add, select
the appropriate Matcher (name or class usually), Grab the window and select
the workspace you want them to start on.

Next time you start the app, the windows will go to that workspace. If you
want some, but not all gnome-terminals to go to that workspace, you'd have to
use

gnome-terminal --title='nametomatch'

to set the name for sawfish to match on

To make this work from login, you need to use 'Session Properties & Startup'
from the control-center, select the 'Startup Programs' tab, and then either
add all the programs that need to start, or create a small script that fires
off all your startup programs and enter that as the command you want to start.
(the latter may be less work, if your startup requirements are likely to
change, or if your gnome config gets screwed and you have to set it up again).

HTH,

Chris