Re: Running gnome within VNC

WOW!  VERY GOOD!!!

And it's amazing how simple that was to apply too.  You have forever changed
my doubts about intelligence outside of the United States.  (My joke)

Seriously though, it works wonderfully.  Thank you so much!  Well, the first
part worked anyway.  Next, I would like to know about this .Xclients-default
issue because I have no such file anywhere on my RedHat 6.2 installation.
(Could that be the reason?  That it's 6.2?)

But just from the first part, changing the ~/.vnc/startup I was able to get
Gnome/Sawfish working in all its glory!  (I have a color depth issue but I
know what that's about and will get around to fixing that later.)  So I am
not getting a login screen yet but at least I have part of my wish fulfilled
and I have you to that for it.  :)

This kicks butt! :)

> In my RedHat 6.1 server at work I just change my ~/.vnc/xstartup to
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
>
> I also change my .Xclients-default to
> if [ "$1" = "vnc" ]; then
>   if [ "$2" ]; then
>     exec vncviewer -fullscreen  -passwd ~/.vnc/passwd $2
>   else
>     exec vncviewer -fullscreen  -passwd ~/.vnc/passwd :1
>   fi
> else
>   exec gnome-session
> fi
>
> That way to see my vncserver I just have to type startx vnc.
>
> IIRC you need to change some line in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
> from "exec $HOME/.Xclients" to "exec $HOME/.Xclients $*".
> And also your ~/.Xclients from "exec $HOME/.Xclients-default"
> to "exec $HOME/.Xclients-default $*" . So that 'startx vnc' trick works.
>
> Thanks to VNC now I'm free from X Console lockup. Just Ctrl + Alt +
BackSpace