RE: On GNOME dependencies.

>    Hence, the GNOME approach so far has been to write libraries that
> depend on existing libraries.  I do not understand the movement
> towards making Gtk+-only applications.  These applications will either
> end up reinventing the wheel, duplicate effort or be underpowered and
> not offer the kind of integration that we are aiming at in the GNU
> project: an integration that will make GNOME a very pleasant system to
> use.  And something that can be seriously considered for all kinds of
> users.

I don't think you need to understand. It sounds likes you don't
care what happens to gtk only apps. So why don't you merge gtk and
gnome if they should never be separated? This statement worries
me it reminds me of apple during their downward spiral in the
early nineties. Basically that we now better than the customers.

Its possible (although unlikely) that gtk will outlive gnome and then
the html widget will be useless or need a lot of work. I made the example
earlier about what if X11 had Motif dependencies. Motif is a niche and
X is a cornerstone at this point.

> * Our future
>
>    We are going to keep reusing libraries, and we are going to keep
> adding dependencies where they matter to create a better system.

Reuse is definitely best, however in order to be able to re-use just
what you want having LOW dependencies is needed not more. This
argument is the classic case someone wants to use code "A" but to
do that he has to bring in code "B","C","D" etc and most
coders I know will balk at this.

Miguel could you please explain why can't split the html
widget into two parts as I suggested earlier? Basically gtkhtml
would be what Steven needs, I agree with him on this point. And
the new GnomeHtml would inherit from gtkHtml and add everything
like gconf print etc that the gnome folks want.

I really don't get this argument. Gtk widgets simply can't depend
on gnome its basic. At the very least rename it gnomeHtml.