Re: gtkhtml

Federico Mena Quintero was overheared mumbling something about this on 29 Jun
2000 20:21:38 -0400

>  > Sounds like GNOME widgets primary goal is to provide consistancy between
>  > applications.  Any GNOME widget that is not providing consistancy, should
>  > probably be lowered down the food chain into something like Gtk.
>
>  This is a quote from the Architecture and Design page on the
>  developer's site.  But you are extrapolating too much.	Take the quote
>  in context; it is just a description of the "GNOME Widgets" section on
>  the site.  It is meant to give an idea of what the widgets in
>  gnome-libs do.	GtkHTML does not live in gnome-libs and has a much
>  larger scope than just rendering HTML.	Miguel already pointed out its
>  nice features that users appreciate.

Ah, but we where discussing GNOME-Widgets... so a description of what widgets
in gnome-libs do is very much on topic.  You are right to point out that
GtkHTML does not live in gnome-libs.  I am also glad to see you admit that it
has a larger scope than just rendering HTML... It ALSO has a larger scope than
Gtk.  So... it shouldn't be CALLED GtkHTML ... It should be called, GNOME
Browser, or GNOMEZilla or whatever, I don't care.  But making people think it
is a Gtk widget by calling it GtkHTML is wrong.  That is my only point in all
of this.  I am not, nor have I ever, bashed GNOME.  Just because I choose not
to use gnome-libs in my application should not be taken as an insult to GNOME
either.  Its my choice as a developer, and in fact, is nearly 100% because my
users raised such a fuss when I mentioned depending on GNOME that I decided if
I wanted any users, I better stick to straight Gtk.  Is this anti-GNOME? not at
all.. I am simply stating the facts as they apply to my program (CSCMail)  For
whatever reason, the people on this list and in #gnome seem to get very uptight
whenever anyone says things like "I don't want my application to depend on
GNOME"	or "GtkHTML is an inappropriate name for a widget that depends on
GNOME."  I am sorry if people are so insecure about the GNOME project that they
feal they must get up in arms whenever someone questions any part of it.
Personally I think GNOME is a good idea.  It will help bring a lot of new blood
into the *nix community.  Do I use GNOME? no.  I don't like graphical file
managers, or taskbars.	I prefer bash and a root menu.	Yes I know that GNOME
is more than the panel and Gmc... I also don't have any need for gnumeric or
any of the other GNOME dependant applications out there.  Does this make me
anti-GNOME? does it make me a GNOME basher? not in the least.  If you cannot
respect my decision to use my computer without GNOME, so be it.  No sweat off
my brow.  If anything, it should be taken as a compliment that I think the
GtkHTML widget is so good that I am willing to put up with the abuse I take for
my beliefs, and argue for days about making it live up to its name. And even
more so, willing to fork it and take on YET another developmental project in my
HUGE amounts of free time. (ok, so sometimes I use sarcasm too)  I really hope
that Ettore and I can work out a way to make a "true" GtkHTML and a GNOME
wrapper for it, or some other combination of efforts that allow those of us who
don't want GNOME to still benefit from his excellent GtkHTML widget.  If this
is not possible, then I will continue to work on CscHTML... Either way, I now
have a decent HTML widget I can use in my programs without depending on GNOME.
(btw: I prefer to join forces with Ettore, in case there is still any doubt)

Hope that clears up my position on GNOME, GtkHTML, life, the universe and
everything.

-CZ

>  Dude, have you *ever* looked at GIMP's crap such as the gradient
>  editor?  What kind of moron wrote that?  That person should really be
>  put in a mental institution.

no, I have never looked at the GIMP's source code.  I do USE the GIMP on a
regular basis, and find it to be a very nice program.  The code could be a mess
of spaghetti for all I know, but it certainly performs the image manipulation
tasks I attempt to do with it in a robust and quick manner, so I have no
complaints.