Re: gtkhtml

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:33:17 -0500 (CDT), <bob@thestuff.net> said:

>  > I have never seen any patches. So please let's end this argument
>  now.
>
>  In this case, I take back what I said. I was lead to beleave he
>  submited a
>  patch and it was rejected.

No, I never submitted a patch... (nor did I ever claim to)  I did e-mail
Ettore several times approximately 6 months ago, and I believe I have a
few other times over the last few months.  I also have talked with other
Helix employees in #gnome on irc.gnome.org

Due to the lack of a response from Ettore, and the very rude and cold
reception my ideas got from the Helix employees in #gnome, I assumed my
patch would be ignored anyway.

I do not know why my emails to Ettore never got through... I do not have
them archived, as one of the drawbacks of developing an E-Mail client is
that I get to be the guinie pig for my alpha code, and occasionally I end
up sending several months worth of mail to /dev/null

I have, however, for the last six months, spouted my "lets take the gnome
out of GtkHTML and make it a real Gtk widget" philosophy to any and all
who would listen, especially in #gnome and also on the gtk-list (whenever
the subject comes up)

I pretty much made my decision to do this fork after a discussion with
Miguel in #gnome several weeks ago.  I left that conversation with the
distinct impression that (a) GtkHTML was only being developed for
Evolution, and anything else would be ignored (b) GNOME dependancies
where an integral part of GtkHTML, and this would only continue to grow.
There where no intentions to limit the GNOME dependancies, since GtkHTML
was for Evolution and Evolution was a GNOME application.

I may have mis-interpreted Miguel's comments, or maybe he was just having
a bad day.  But since he is the "boss" over at Helix, and I know that
Ettore works at Helix, I pretty much took what he said as the "company
line" regarding GtkHTML, and realised that a fork would be the only way
to get a GtkHTML widget that was really Gtk.

Anyway, after reading Ettore's letter, I hope to pursue some form of
co-operation with him, and hopefully we can turn this into a win-win
situation...

I have had several patches sent to me for CscHTML, including python
bindings, and I think that we could definately provide a better GtkHTML
widget for the end users by working together instead of pulling apart.
To be honest, my main project is CSCMail anyway, and I have only let
myself get sidetracked with CscHTML... I needed a non-GNOME html widget
though.. and CscHTML seemed to be the only way I was going to get one...

-CZ
Steve Kordik					      stevek@voila.net
System Administrator				      Tel 212.332.5045
VOILA - France Telecom North America		      Fax 212.332.2362
1270 Avenue of the Americas			New York, NY 10020 USA
Customized Search Engines for your web site at: http://voilasearch.com