problems with gmc

Hi,
I have gnome and redhat 6, gmc works ok must of the time but I have noticed
that when trying to list the contents of a very large directory (one with
too many files) it freezes for almost a minute and only then redraws the
contents of the window, I have noticed that it happens every time I minimize
or restore gmc, in fact, it seems to freeze every time the window has to be
redraw for any reason. It is as if the algoritm had been made to scan the
directory and fill the list every time gmc needs to redraw itself. It is
really painfull when I for instance have a directory whith  many htm files,
a tutorial in this case, and every time I open a file and netscape appears I
have to wait so long when I close it for gmc to redraw. Does anyone know
what might be happening ? Is gmc code made so that it has to rescan the hole
directory before redrawing ? Because if things are that way, it will work
well only with little directories. Is it just that I have an old version of
GNOME ?
Thanks