Re: Sawfish configuration files

"Kevin D. Knerr, Sr." wrote:

> On 21 Jun, Richard A. Smith wrote:
>
> > Where does sawfish get it's config info from.
>
> Defaults are "hard" coded in the *.jl files in the lisp subdirectory of
> the sawfish release.
>
> Changes you make with the sawfish configurator (or the sawfish
> control-panel capplet) are saved in ~/.sawfish/custom. (NOTE: Don't edit
> this by hand . . . you have been warned! <g>)
>
> You can make manual changes in ~/.sawfishrc (i.e., setq variables, re
> defun functions, require packages, include lisp snippets).
>
> > So far I have worked out that the reason sawfish isn't running is because
> > it is trying to execute the files:
> > /convert
> > and
> > /anytopnm
> >
> > These files of course don't live in the root directory and sawfish dies.
>
> Are you sure it's sawfish??? Although I have /usr/X11R6/bin/convert, I
> don't have anytorpm. And I can't think of a good reason why sawfish
> would be trying to convert an image format when it starts.
>
> For that matter, grepping the sawfish lisp finds *NO* reference to
> either convert or anytorpm. (I'm using 0.28.1, compiled from source.)
>
> What distro are you using? Is it possible that the problem is something
> the distro did in it's sawfish packaging??
>
> > I will point out that this info shows up in the .gnome-errors file but it
> > doesn't tell you which program the errors are comming from which makes it
> > a little difficult to figure out whats going on.
>
> OK--Maybe it isn't sawfish then. What exactly were the errors? Or was it
> simply a "file not found" error?
>
> Is it just sawfish not starting, or does GNOME itself fail?
>
> > How do I make sawfish not use explicit dirctory references?
>
> AFAIK, sawfish *doesn't*. If your version of sawfish *is*, I suspect
> it's something your distro did, because I got my copy on stone tablets
> written by the hand of John himself[1], and the words "convert" and
> "anytorpm" simply don't appear there . . .
>
> Sorry to say, but the source of your problem would seem to be elsewhere.
>
> Regards,
>
> Barthel

IIRC, Imlib runs "convert" on any image it does not have the ability to
handle internally. The most likely reason why Imlib is doing this now is
that Sawfish is trying to load a an image file that isn't an image. I'm
not that familiar with Sawfish, but I would guess editing the
configuration to load a different theme by default would fix this
problem.

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
     pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
        -- Winston Churchill