Re: How does one pronounce GNU/Gnome/etc ?

At 08:23 AM 6/23/00 +0200, Jean-Raymond.Chauviere wrote:
>Cory Watson wrote:
> >
> > At 04:37 PM 6/22/00 -0400, Robert Soros wrote:
> > >Thats all fine and dandy if you pronounce GNU as 'new' ... but I've heard
> > >Miguel in an interview speak 'Gnome' as "GAH-Nohme"... Where does the
> > >"GAH" come from? And does it apply to "GNU" (GAH-New-ee??)...
> >
> > I say 'gah-noo'
> >

>to respect the zoology naming convention (bison, yacc, ,etc...)
>can you explain how americans pronounces every names of every
>animals we can find in a zoo.
>Don't forget the distincts accentuation (I believe tenesse != florida).
>But maybe, it's off topic :-)
>JRC

No clue what you are talking about;)

But it's spelled 'Tennessee'!  Spell it right, it's where I live! Heheh...

Tennessee is very different from Florida in accent, for instance, to say
'bison' in a good, deep southern drawl, it requires you to stretch the
first syllable and stretch your jaw a little to the left.  'byye'. And then
swallowing the vowel in the the 'sun' and saying it as 'sn'... So try and
say 'Byyesn' while pulling your lower jaw over to the left.  The jaw pull
is to try and mimic the twang we southerners are gifted with... It's like
that clicking noise I hear in some African languages, it's just a gift;)

And if you actually sat and did any of this, I bet you looked and sounded
really hilarious... Get the whole family in it.  Let me know if you need
any more southern slang or drawl lessons;)

Cory 'G' Watson