giving advice: helix 1.2 and Solaris 7

Hello,
	Haveing a hard time with a Gome Helix 1.2 install on a Solaris box? Me
too. Well this is a collection of a few things other people have posted
and my own experience. I installed gnome using the Helix 1.2 installer
on my Solaris 7 system. The Helix install didn't work out of the box, so
I hit this lists archive and found this advice:

	http://mail.gnome.org/pipermail/gnome-list/2000-June/039081.html

and after removing the ~/.gnome and ~/.gnome-private files which were
installed as root by the Helix installer, gnome with sawmill came up and
worked fine using dtlogin.
	Then I decided, shit I had better patch my system. So I run off to
sunsolve and applied all the recommended patches for this system and
BLAMO! no gnome... F!... F!!!
	Now I get a seg fault core dump when i try to login with dtlogin. No
error msgs, nothing in the logs, no .gnome-errors. Although it does
create .gnome and .gnome-private but does not create .sawmill.
So maybe its sawmill? When I get caught up with work again maybe I will
switch the default to twm and see what happens.
	So now what? Well I don't use gnome desktop but under openwindows, in a
cmdtool, i just type panel & and SHAZAM I can use gnome apps. Set the
panel up as floating, small, remove any extra junk, add a clock and its
pretty sweet.

	Another thing that has probably already been reported:

[mitch]$ panel &
[1] 3510
[mitch]$ xchat &
ld.so.1: xchat: fatal: libiconv.so: open failed: No such file or
directory
[2] 3534
[2]   Killed                  xchat
[mitch]$

This was happening before when i could use the gnome desktop too.

tks
hope this helps someone out

mitch