Re: Computing made easy

I don't think it's the best slogan in the world, but it's better than most
of the ones people have been submitting.  Those of us who are using GNOME
for it's GNU affiliations are already here.  Why not attract those that
aren't familiar with these practices, and then gently guide them into
understanding GNU, the FSF, and the GPL?

If my little brother, the budding computer user that he is, was faced with
two 'slogans' when he loaded the site: "Computing made easy", or something
concerning GNU, the first one will make more sense to him.  Sure, he'll
probably keep reading either way, but he will be more comfortable with
something on his level.  It's not our want to attract only other hackers is
it?  The FSF's whole goal is to produce a bunch of Free software for the
world to use right?  Why don't we attract everyone to our little gem of a
desktop environment.  Theres no reason that the work of so many dedicated
individuals should be limited to a small group.

</soapbox>

Phew.  I'm just not happy with the way this list is so vehemently trying to
stuff the word GNU into something as silly as the slogan at the top of the
GNOME page.  Why don't we focus on the code and the architecture rather
than discussing such small details as the slogan on the page.  If you don't
agree, just ignore me, lets not contribute to the clutter, we can discuss
it somewhere else.  Email me privately or something;)