RE: I hate the slogan "computing made easy"

At 10:56 AM 6/21/00 +0200, you wrote:
>You want my $0.02 too? I would like to say "I hate graphical environments on
>Unix in general".

How nice of you.

>I am not a Windows adept, i like to use the best OS for the applications or
>services i like to run, but for this matter, in Windows i can reinstall the
>whole bunch and usually it works after that. I cannot say the same for the
>graphical environments in any Unix distribution.

Of course you cannot say the same, Windows has been in development for
years longer than GNOME, and thousands more developers have probably mucked
with the code.  Sure we hate MS, but Windows does pretty damn good with
what it's given.  I find it absolutely amazing that GNOME does what it
does, I'm in awe every time I use it.

>I installed Helix on Solaris 7. Installation without problems. Gnome is an
>option in my logon-screen. If i select gnome, the core gets dumped and i get
>back at my logon screen. When i select CDE or OpenWindows things work fine.
>/$HOMEDIR/.dt/startlog:

I've never used Solaris in my life.  I would assume that most of the folks
on this list use Linux, like me.  Is there anywhere more specialized you
can ask perhaps?

>/tmp/dtdbcache_192.168.0.143:0: No such file or directory
>/usr/dt/bin/Xsession[739]: 3767 Hangup
>X connection to 192.168.0.143:0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
>X connection to 192.168.0.143:0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

Well, what does that first line here mean?  I've never seen it before, it
is the problem?

Cory 'G' Watson