Re: Playing sounds

On 06/21/00 14:20:28 +0100 Derek Fountain <fountai@hursley.ibm.com> wrote:
+-----
| My Dell notebook has a Maestro sound card which runs under
| the OSS sound system. 'play <file>' works fine, but
| multimedia sound under GNOME-1.2 doesn't. Each sound tries
| to play, but it comes out sounding like a half second hissy
| noise. Presumably GNOME doesn't use 'play' for sounds.
+--->8

This was discussed on linux-kernel recently, because someone tried to
report it as a kernel bug.

It appears that esd does blind writes to /dev/dsp, without checking the
result.  Since short writes occur when the audio driver can't accept more
data, and esd isn't checking the return code from write(), most of the
audio data is effectively discarded.

I see this on my SB16 at home as well.

--
brandon s. allbery     [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]    allbery@kf8nh.apk.net