Re: make gnome listen on localhost:*

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Ali Abdin wrote:

> I think _ONE_ of the reasons that ORBit will /NOT/ disable the inet sockets
> thing by default is because if it does it is not following the CORBA
> standard. ORBit is a CORBA ORB - if it does not follow the standard what
> does it become?

This is orthogonal to the GNOME security issue. For the purposes of the
security discussion, all we need to know is that GNOME supports
inter-process communication. The method by which this is accomplished is a
black box to us.

See footnotes[1]

Cheers
Chris

[1] I freely admit to making a mistake in my initial argument. I advocated
that libORBit should not listen on inet sockets by default. I've since
revised this: GNOME's usgae of libORBit should be such that no inet
sockets are listened on.