Re: make gnome listen on localhost:*

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Elliot Lee wrote:

> > Oh come on. Let's say GNOME, tomorrow, started shipping without _any_ inet
> > sockets listening. This list would be inundated with complaints that the
> > desktop is ruined, would it?
>
> > [1] At this current time. Can we focus on the now not the future
> > please. It's not as if decisions can't be revisted.
>
> By the time your solution arrives at the userbase, it will be obsolete,
> and it already would cause problems for at least a few users inside &
> outside of GNOME. The solution needs to be a lasting one, or in six months

With prompt action GNOME-1.2.1 could easily ship without inet listening
sockets. GNOME-1.2 hasn't hit a lot of major distributions yet...

I'm not sure what problems you're referring to. I'm no longer advocating a
blanket libORBit solution. Just a GNOME one (providing libORBit
providies the neccessary support). And a configurable GNOME one. With
pretty GUI checkbox if deemed neccessary.

Chris