Remote X not working in helix Gnome 1.2

I saw a post late last month describing a problem similar to the one I'm
having.  Never did see any resolution posted though...

I downloaded and installed helix gnome 1.2.  I'm trying to use it with an
NCD X terminal.  I am able to connect to the machine and get the gdm
screen.  I can log in okay, however once I do the farthest that it gets is
to the gnome splash screen.  From what I understand I get the "normal"
complement of icons in the splash screen.

As a test, I was able to start a "failsafe" configuration in which no
window manager was started, only an xterm.  In the xterm I manually start
sawmill, which seems to come up okay.  Then I start gweather and the gnome
environment starts.

I am currently unable to test this on the local machine as it is a server
with no monitor...

Any clues??

-- Thanks, Mike