gnome 1.2 panel problems

A little more on my minor problems with gnome 1.2.  As noted, before,
applets that have numbers in them such as the 'clock and mail notify'
applet (1.2.1) and clock applet (1.0) don't properly refresh when the
numbers change.  It's as if the update is layed on top of the existing
number.  After a while, it looks like a black rectangular block.  I've
found something else interesting about this.  If I slide a window over
the panel, or hide the panel the numbers are refreshed.  Changing
desktops virtual or otherwise, also corrects the problem.

Anyone else see this behavior?  Any suggestions as to what might be
causing it and what might correct it?  I don't have this problem on my
other machine and the only difference is different versions of XFree
(3.3.2 vs. 3.3.6).

I've changed to a number of different themes, but the problem persists.

--
Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric@denali.atlnet.com

Microsoft != Innovation