Re: firewall and on-topicness: other lists to try

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 10:33:41AM -0500 or thereabouts, Chema Celorio wrote:
> Paul :
> 	It was nice from you answering rob. But if we
> keep answering this off-topic questions, users will
> keep asking them. I don't think we want to make gnome-list@
> a general unix help mailing list, we allready receive enough
> emails....

I have already got a list of places you can ask such questions for
users of Caldera, Mandrake, BSD (I hope, I suspect there are better
forums), and Debian. I put those in the proto-faq as places other
than gnome-list to ask non-GNOME questions. If you missed the previous
email, you can find that at
http://www.linux.org.uk/~telsa/GDP/gnome-faq/index.html	(index)

I have also finally tracked down the well-hidden RH users list:
redhat-list@redhat.com and I'll put that in the FAQ when I have a web
address or subscription details for it. (Warning, even higher-traffic
than gnome-list, by all accounts.)

But people -keep- saying "take this off the list" and no-one will
say where they should be taken. I'll cheerfully put any and all
distro-specific or app-specific addresses in the FAQ, but every time
I email someone who complains "this shouldn't be here" to ask for
their suggestions on where it should be, they go unaccountably
silent. I can't think why. In the end I got bored waiting for their
replies and looked myself.

Anyone knowing of good lists for particular topics which have
a good FAQ or don't mind newbies, please let me know. Particularly
common questions here are X configuration and ppp. Lists for those
would be particularly good :) Private email, and I'll summarise
(save on the spam a bit :))

Telsa