Re: xscreensaver-gl

On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 08:13:49PM -0700, Mark Atkinson wrote:
> The libGL and libGLU libraries were  installed as instructed by the Mesa
> package (configure, make, etc). I'm pretty sure that they were installed
> OK. The libraries are indeed where I would expect them to be. I'm trying
> to install the xscreensaver-gl-3.24.0_helix_1.i386.rpm using RPM and the
> message I'm getting is:
>
> error: failed dependencies:
>      l    libGL.so.1 is needed by xscreensaver-gl-3.24.0_helix_1
>           libGLU.so.1 is needed by xscreensaver-gl-3.24.0_helix_1
>
> So, even if there were some incorrect configurations in the Mesa libGL
> installation, I would think that xscreensaver-gl would be able to find the
> libraries.

The problem is that you've installed the libraries by hand, but the
RPM database only tracks files installed via the RPM method.  You must
either tell RPM to ignore the dependencies and force installation (a
dangerous habit to get into), learn to make fake packages that teach
RPM about your by-hand installations, or install the Mesa library via
RPM (look on rpmfind.net for RPM's of Mesa for your system).

--
Ian Peters
itp@helixcode.com