Re: Panel positioning on small screens

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Paul Warren wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jun 2000 gnome-list@phred.demon.co.uk wrote:
>
> > I'm running Gnome on my laptop; just upgraded to 1.2, which definitely runs
> > faster than whatever version I had before.
> >
> > On to my problem: My laptop's screen is 800x600, but I use a virtual
> > scrolling screen at 1024x768. I find that this limits the usefulness of all
> > those nifty panel applets - most of the time they're off the screen, and I
> > have to mouse around to view them. What I really want is to be able to pin
> > the panels to the edges of the _screen_ rather than the desktop. Does
> > such a mechanism exist? If it doesn't, is it possible?
>
> If you're using X to give you your virtual desktop then no, not
> easily.  It might be possible, but it would be a bit hacky.  You'd need to
> get the panel to move every time you scroll, and it'd probably look a bit
> crumby.
>
> A better solution would use your Window Managers virtual desktops.  The
> downside of this is that they probably won't scroll as smoothly.
>
> Paul

Hi,

Just as another idea on this subject.....

We currently have various types of panels, sliding, menu, edge etc, could
we have a 'positioned' panel? Rather than having it anchored to the edge
etc, it could be anchored to the position it was last placed. To
place it is either drag-and-drop into place or use an option off of one of
the desktop mouse click menus to position it to where the mouse is now -
or it is next clicked?

Sort of like the Windowmaker positionable menus but with the gnome-panel
applets and functions?

Just an idea from another non-coder :-)......

Steve