Re: No GNOME Sound Events When in Run-Level 5 (Found Problem!!!)

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> "Bruce W. Bigby" <bbigby@rochester.rr.com> writes:
> > Why do I not hear GNOME sound events when running in run-level 5. I've
> > never gotten this to work. The only way GNOME sound events work is when
> > I run in run-level 3 and execute startx. Don't want to do this.
>
> You need to give your user account permission to write to
> /dev/dsp. How you do this exactly depends on your distribution, but
> basically you make sure a group (such as "sound") owns /dev/dsp and
> then put yourself in that group.
>
> Havoc

I found the problem! I started comparing the environments between my
account, and my wife's account, which didn't work and my son's account
which did produce sound. I noticed that I explicitly put the following
in my .bash_profile file:

DISPLAY="`hostname`:0.0"

At first, I saw this difference, but thought, what does sound have to do
with the display so I looked for other clues. Then, I decided, well,
perhaps esd uses the X protocol and setting DISPLAY like I did might
cause problems. Heck, my son's account was getting along without the
explicit setting of the DISPLAY variable, perhaps mine might AND produce
sound. To my delight, I got rid of the DISPLAY statement and, wallah!
Sound! Of course, I fixed my wife's account, too.

I suppose that, if I wanted to set the DISPLAY variable, I should have
done something like this:

DISPLAY=localhost.localdomain:0.0

Would that suffice? I don't feel like testing it now. It's late and my
wife wants a foot massage; later.  :-)
--
Bruce W. Bigby
http://home.rochester.rr.com/bigbyofrocny