GNOME Panel hides desktop icons...

I run my display at 1152 x 864. When GNOME displays all of my desktop
icons, the GNOME panel covers the icons at the bottom of the screen.
However, I noticed that, if I change my resolution to 1280 x 1024, GNOME
does not paint the icons so that the panel can cover them. GNOME doesn't
display any desktop icons in positions where the panel might obscure
them. What's going on? I don't run at the higher 1280 x 1024, because my
eyes need the 85 Hz refresh rate of 1152 x 864. 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz is
not comfortably readable for me. After a while, my eyes just hurt. Not
only is everything smaller but the refresh rate is lower.
--
Bruce W. Bigby
http://home.rochester.rr.com/bigbyofrocny