Re: gdm chooser

>Is there any information available on how one might get the gdm chooser
>working?

Yes, there is. Some pages, search a bit. ;]

>I assume this will allow users to choose from a menu of XDMCP-enabled
>machines on the network.  Thought maybe directly running gdmchooser in my
>inittab would work, but it does not.

gdmchooser gives you a set of machines, but I think you can not run it from
inittab. First cos you need to have X. Second cos the chooser is served by a
display manager, IIRC.

>From what I know, machine A ask machine B for a set of machines. Machine B
broadcasts and "learns" what machines want to provide X sessions, then
passes the gdmchooser to machine A via normal X. When an user clicks on an
icon, machine B passes the process to new machine C and machine A gets a
normal DM login (GDM, KDM, XDM) directly from the new machine C.

>Formerly, I've been able to get a chooser going using plain old xdm and an
>indirect query, but this is not the way I want to do it.

Maybe that is the way to do it, indirect query. Of course, you can launch
GDM locally and try to use it to serve the gdmchooser to itself (a thing I
have not tried).

What is the problem with having a "X -query somemachine" line in your inittab?

GSR