How to track this down

Hi,

recently upgraded my RH6.2 to Gnome 1.2

like alot of things, but have a major annoyances. I am looking for info
on how to further track these down before I enter them into the bug database.

One of the things I like to do is leave my system up, and not logout, letting
the screen saver kick-in instead.

it seems that there might be a problem w/ the screen saver in gnome 1.2,
but it is not obvious, yet, where the problem lies. let me explain.

when I leave my system, and come back some time later, instead of seeing
my desktop, or even the screen saver, I will see the gdm login prompt.

The 1st time this happened, I thought it odd, but I notice that it has a very
high consistency rate (near 100%). but the scrange thing is that I dropped the
timeout value from what used to be 20 minutes down to 1 minute, and now I
see the screen saver kick in. but, I think if I leave it long enough, it will
die, and take the session with it (no firm proof or observation as of yet).

I went into the gnome control center, and "tried" each screen saver, and
none of 'em crash (though admittedly not all will "try" properly), so I can't
point at a specific screen saver and say "that one".

I'd like to try tracking this down, any suggestions ? (preferably ones
that don't say, do this and wait 20 minutes...)

oh, and when the session dies, and i log in the next time, alot of my gnome-term
windows are not properly positioned/sized (this, inspite of the fact that once
I reposition/resize, I do a "session -> save settings" - it is really annoying
that either the settings aren't saved, or the session crash disrupts them, or
something...)

thx, and rgds,

-Greg

E-Mail: Gregory Hosler <gregory.hosler@eno.ericsson.se>
Date: 07-Jun-00
Time: 11:01:23

        Black holes are where God divided by zero.