Probles with time and formating

Hi, I have two problems.
1- I tried to set the system time using the time-tool shown in the gnome
system menu and everything works ok but when I do, it tells me to reboot the
system because some programs depended on the time and might have problems,
when I do I notice the clock applet continues with the same old time as if
no change would have been done.
2- I tried to format a floppy disk using the formating tool that comes by
default with gnome (I have fdo mount as msdos in fstab), and it tells me it
can't find mkfs.msdos which seems to be the front end for  msdos formating,
I then looked up into the instaled pakages and found mkfs is there, but only
as mkfs.minix. I tried chekin low level format to see what happend and all I
got was a very, very large window at the end of the operation, filled with
numbers (sectors?), it was so large I had to pull it around three times to
see the opposed side of it. What is it, a joke ?

Thanks