Re: Binaries from GNOME project

>I do not want to install software from Helixcode for several reasons
>1. I generally don't want to install software from commercial entities*

Some commercial entities are really good (others not). I try to value
entities and persons by their acts, not by labels.

>2. I do not want to see logos from commercial entities in my software
>(installer)*

Do not use it. I do not use it, I just download with wget and then upgrade
by hand (rpm -Fvh *.rpm). Easy. :]

Other logos can be easilly removed, just config your apps (for example GDM).
Or in the worst case, recompile using the SRPMs.

Or even better, provide patches so the logos can be configured using config
files instead of recompiling. Some things that are hardcoded into binaries
will be better if configured via text files (helix-splash.png, for example).
Do it and help all the guys, specially cos there are not only images, but
other things that would be great if configurable via files.

I am not against showing that I am running Helix, but others would like
that, and at Univ I would preffer to put an image made by the staff, maybe
placing the Helix name in a corner (a la "Helix Powered" small logo, with
big club one as main theme).

>3. I consider it being unfair to other distributors to drive users to
>one certain company, making theirs the "official" distribution

I do not get it.

>4. I don't like their installer

Again: you do not have to use it. Can you download a dir of files? Can you
manage by hand a set of RPM or SRPM packages? Then you can live without it.
And btw, the manual system is more flexible than the installer, look at the
problems about downloading four times the same or not having enough space in
/tmp.

I think you complains have not real base. You have the solutions at your
hands (and helping other as you do it).

GSR