Compiling ORBit-0.3.98 using SCI compilers ??

I am compiling GNOME for my SGI (I want to dazzle the folks at work).

I downloaded the tarballs from src/latest on a mirror and have been
walking down the list, freetype, glib, gtk+, imlib, gtk-engines,
fnlib, e, ORBit..., and have gotten as far as ORBit-0.3.98.  Here I am
having some major problems.   I am using the old 32 bit SGI compiler.

Are these problems to be expected or is this known to be possible?
Are there later versions of ORBit that work better for SGI?  Are
these accessible to the CVS-impared?

Is there someone on the ORBit team interested in my experiences?  If
so, I could try to prepare a list of the things I encountered.  These
include, for example a missing

#if HAVE_ALLOCA_H
# include <alloca.h>
#endif

blurb in popt/poptparse.c and popt/poptparse.h, an undefined
tmpfilename on libIDL/util.c:415 ...

Let me know.  I'd really like to get this working.

  Gisli