Re: The State of GNOME

Preben Randhol wrote:

> Albert Strasheim <fullung@ilink.nis.za> writes:
>
> | I don't know how much of this instability is to be blamed on Gtk+/GLib
> | [which has really turned into a mess with the 1.0/1.1 issues], but it's
> | still most horrible.
>
> Well now 1.2 is here...
>
> | I'm sure Red Hat is feeling some commercial pressure to push out a mature
> | desktop product with Red Hat 6.0, but at this time GNOME 1.0 isn't it. Red
> | Hat could end up doing serious damage to their own name [think 5.1 with
> | it's 20+ errata entries, just worse], and the name of the GNOME project.
>
> I think that RH 5.1 helped clear out a lot of bugs. None else dared to
> release glibc stuff at that time. Debian just hid in their Cathedral
> overlooking the Bazaar from afar and Suse was doing other important
> things at the time. Both have later made the transition to glibc if
> I'm not very much mistaken.
>
> | The worst thing about receiving flames from KDE'ers would be that they
> | have a valid point. :)
>
> I don't see any point in having a war with the KDE people. It would be
> much nicer if KDE and GNOME software could talk to each other.

Here Here!
I think both GNOME and KDE are both good desktops. But obviously there are
some things I prefer in one over the other. Running both kinds of apps on
both desktops would be very constructive (I think).

Adam.
--
Signs of crime: screaming or cries for help.
                -- from the Brown Security Crime Prevention Pamphlet