Re: all GNOME apps hang if "network" script is off.

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999 21:42:41 -0500, Nathan Valentine <nrvale0@pop.uky.edu>
wrote:

>	I apologize if this has been brought up on the list before. I've lurked
>for quite a while, but I don't always keep an eye on the actual posts so
>I may have missed this being mentioned.
>
>	First the scenario...RH 5.2, kernel 2.2.1, 0.99.8 RPMs. I'm not
>actually starting a gnome-session from .xinitrc. For the purpose of this
>test just assume that I'm starting a panel from an xterm after my window
>manager(WM) has started.
>
>	If "network"ing has been turned off( either by issuing an
>"/etc/rc.d/init.d/network off" or by removing the network link from
>whatever runlevel dir ), when I try to start a GNOME app from an xterm
>the app will hang in the initializing state for a matter of minutes. By
>"hang"ing I mean that I won't get an instance of gedit or gtt or
>whatever

Since this happens with apps that don't use CORBA (such as gtt or gedit) it's
pretty likely that it isn't the fault of the CORBA subsystem.

Can you try doing:
	mkdir -p ~/.gnome/sound
	echo '[settings]' > ~/.gnome/sound/system
	echo 'start_esd=false' >> ~/.gnome/sound/system

And then seeing if your apps will start up?

-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg