Re: gmc: Say it ain't so! (directory chasing)

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Mark R. Bowyer wrote:

> >Any way to disable this behavior?  (I'd check for myself, but it's hard to
> >look at the configuration for a program that's off in the silences.)
>
> There's a thought - have a list of directories not to index, like Netscape has a
> list of servers not to Proxy...

Note to the RedHat/Debian/other-distribution people out there!

Alert! Alert!

Might we have a config file for this?  After all,
/etc/cron.daily/updatedb.cron on my redhat box already has the following:

su nobody -c "/usr/bin/updatedb --output=$TMPFILE --localpaths='/'
	--prunepaths='/tmp /var/tmp /usr/tmp /afs /net' --netpaths=''
	2>/dev/null"

while my debian box has an /etc/updatedb.conf with the following:

PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /usr/tmp /var/tmp /afs /amd /alex /mnt"

which is, to my mind, better.

Standardizing this and having gmc honor it would be a nice solution.
Of course, one would still need a gnome-specific file for those on
other OSes or without system-write capabilities, but I imagine that this
knowledge is needed by other apps as well as by updatedb and gmc.

--
Todd Graham Lewis            32°49'N,83°36'W          (800) 719-4664, x2804
******Linux******         MindSpring Enterprises      tlewis@mindspring.net

"A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood."          -- George S. Patton