Problem with GUILE/readline

hi all,

I've got a persistant problem which is really bugging me... I've looked
through mailing lists archives
for an answer, but no avail (ability to search the archives on the web site
would be nice!).

I'm using 0.99.7 tarballs on Intel RH 5.2. Everything compiles fine.

My problem is whenever I run gnumeric or aislerot I get the following error:
[schuller@chpe ~]$ gnumeric
ERROR: Unbound variable: readline

Also, when I run guile-config, I get the same error!

I have guile 1.3 and guile-gtk 1.14 installed. I also have a very old
gnome-guile 0.99.1 tarball installed, though
that seems to have dissappeared from all the ftp sites...

Here are my libraries:
[root@chpe]# ldconfig -v | grep guile
        libgtop_guile.so.0 => libgtop_guile.so.0.0.2
        libgtop_guile_names.so.0 => libgtop_guile_names.so.0.0.2
        libguile.so.4 => libguile.so.4.0.0

I've also got readline 2.2.1 installed.

This problem has plagued me running the last 4 or so gnumeric tarballs...

Any ideas on what is wrong with my configuration?

thanks,
wayne
Wayne Schuller - BSc. (Computer Science) Network Administrator
Centre for Health Program Evaluation - Austin Repat Hospital - Heidelberg.
Web: http://ariel.unimelb.edu.au/chpe/  My phone: (03) 94964448
w.schuller@gpph.unimelb.edu.au