Re: Drag & Drop Functionality

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:04:08 -0600, Jason F. <jasonf@the-i.net> wrote:

>I've been usin the RPM versions of GNOME since 0.27. Since developement
>seems to be going at light speed lately, I decided to install from CVS.
>Everything seems to be working all right. It's extremely slow, slower
>than either KDE or CDE, but I guess that's to be expected since it's
>still in developement etc.

I think we should try building the .rpm's without --enable-debug set,
just to see how that affects the speed.

>One thing I've noticed is that I can't get the desktop icons to show up
>unless I start up GMC, which slows down my poor computer even more! I
>realize that the desktop icons are a function of GMC, but is there a way
>I can start them up without having to start up the GMC window?

The gmc process will be running whether or not you have a gmc window
open. You won't save any resources.

> Oh, and where's the trash can?

Right clicking on a file deletes it, and you're free to make a directory
called "trash can" on your desktop that you drag to-be-deleted files
into.

>horrid menus! I think it'd be cool if GNOME had an app manager that
>looked like a folder tab sitting behind the GNOME panel. When you click
>on the tab, it'd slide out from behind the panel, and there would be
>you're apps. Could that be added on as sort of an applet or something?

Have you tried panel drawers?

-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg