Re: gnumeric 0.8 build fails if gnumeric 0.6 was previously installed

On Tue, 09 Feb 1999 09:40:20 Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> writes:
>
> |     Actually, there's a worse problem here.  If gnumeric is compiled
> |   without an X display, the build process unconditionally dies at that
> |   point with the error "..GDK Error: cannot open display...".  I think
> |   that having compiles depend on the presence of a GUI is not such a
> |   good thing.. :-) (although I don't know how to handle this, maybe
> |   just strcmp() or strstr() argv for --dump-func-defs before calling
> |   gtk_init()? )
>
> If you'll ship _all_ the documentation precompiled with the .tar.gz,
> there would be no need to invoke "gnumeric" during the compilation or
> installation process.
>
> I'd like to see the HTML files (+ pictures) being distributed again.

  This would be good for people building from .tar.gz files but those
of us doing CVS builds would still have problems with gnumeric.  I know
that I don't always want to have to leave an X session up for the 12
hours or so that Gnome takes to build on my machine..

  Daniel