Re: IDEA: gmc and .xvpics

bob@kehs.ksd.org wrote:

> How about a combination of the 2. EE is slower, and XV creates garbage
> directories.
>
> use the XV method of file saving and EE's directory method.

Well, as someone else said, having 600 copies of thumbnails (one per
user) is a bad idea, so a better idea would be to have some sort of
secure layer, so thumbnails are written to a central location. This
eliminates the directories scattered about problem as well as the
rediculous # of copies issue.

> > > image-directories
> > > quality, but
> > > think
> > >
> > > As I  saw in the source  file (gimp-plugins-unstable/xvthumb/xvthumb.c),
> > > it  is a  simple  uncompressed small  picture. This  format  is used  by
> > > gimp, guash (Gimp Users Another SHell), and XV).
> > > I think  this could be  godd, if  it would be  adopted not only  by gmc,
> > > but by ee also. I think ee's thumbnail-generation is quite slow...
> > >
> > > dLux
> >
> > But I dislike how XV, Guash, and now Gimp 1.1.2, drop extraeneous
> > .xvpics directories all about my home directory. I use Gimp to edit
> > images for my website, and I don't like having to delete those .xvpics
> > directories every time before I upload. EE has a superior scheme, IMO,
> > in dropping all the thumbnails from accross the system into the .ee
> > directory, rather than scattering them all about. Removing them is so
> > much easier with EE.
> >
> >     Jim Cape

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com