Compiling CVS gtk/gnome

Hi,
    I have recently downloaded the latest CVS version of gnome, and while attempting to compile the gtk set of libs I ran into some errors.  I have compiled imlib, gtk+, gtk-libs, and when I try to configure the gtk-engine I get an error which reads that I don't have imlib installed, or not the correct version, I then removed all imlib versions, and installed the new version again, doing a `ldconfig,` still nothing.  Afterward I made sure that /usr/local/lib was in my /etc/ld.so.conf, it was.  I am perplexed by this because I am sure that the library is installed.
    My question is: "am I doing something wrong when I compile the other libraries?  Because the CVS versions are not like the *real* releases, am not sure exactly of the process of making, and insalling CVS code"

Any help would be appreciated,
Caleb
(bokonon@rochester.rr.com)