Re: gnome-libs + orbit

"Brian J. Murrell" <gnome-list-in@interlinx.bc.ca> writes:

> from the quill of Damo <adagio@effect.net.au> on scroll
> <19990207223709.A32487@slow>
> > ok, the problem was fixed with a cvs co instead of up.
> Interesting.  Anyone want to tell me what the difference between doing a
> co vs. an up on an existing checkout tree?  I've wondered about that for
> quite a while.  :-)

This question comes up from time to time.  Basically, a "checkout"
applies rules in the CVSROOT/modules file, whereas an "update"
doesn't.  eg, if someone changed:
gnome-blah gnome-blah &macros
gnome-blah gnome-blah &macros &intl

Then "checkout" would reflect this correctly, and "update" would not.
"update" is much quicker and more efficient, though.  Personally I
never use checkout and do the copying myself - which avoids a lot of
problems.

See the info pages on modules for more details [(cvs)modules]
--
Sam Vilain, sam@whoever.com         work: sam.vilain@unisys.com
http://www.hydro.gen.nz                home: sam@hydro.gen.nz