Yet another newbie - End of story

Hello

First I would like to say thanks to all who tried to help me. I've got very
good and constructive answers, but due to my lake of expirence I finally gave
up on GNOME.

I followed the read me/install file, and did a ./configure, make and make install
After compiling glib, gtk+ and imlib, my next package was gtk-engines, and
during ./configure it told me that it needed gtk+ 1.1.13 or higher, then I gave
up.

I've spend the last two days trying to install GNOME, first by getting the RPM's
then I located a mirror containg the /pub/sources/latest - why keep sources in
different directories when they are the "latest" ?

One re-install of Red Hat 5.2 just to be sure that I had a clean system, to
compile one.

My personal conclusion is that GNOME is not for novice users.

Keep up the good work, maybe I'll try later but for now I'll stick to KDE
It took me less than 1 hour of re-install Red Hat and KDE and I was up and
running again.

I've saved all the answers I've gotten, maybe someone could use them later.

My next mail will be a UN SUBSCRIBE to gnome-list.

Thanks once again to all who tried to help me.

Best
Steen

--
// YANLU - Yet Another New Linux User