variable hotkeys in menu's?

I'm not sure wether this is a gnome or a gtk issue, but since I don't
have any pure gtk programs anymore, I can't check it myself.

Using gnome-libs-0.99.5, gtk-1.1.14 and most programs from the 0.99.5
release, builded from source.

When I click on a menu item, move my mousepointer to an entry in the
menu and press on a letter on my keyboard, that key shows up next to the
entry and from then on, I can use it like a hotkey. I haven't tried it
in each gnome prog I have, but it definitely works in quite a lot of
them.

Actually IMO, this looks to good to be a bug and to bad to be a feature.
Or am I looking at a newly added feature which still has some minor
tweaks to undergo?

Wing Tung