Re: gtkicq suggestions

Just for the record,
I do not use GtkICQ now,
So if anything I say is wrong or plain syupid, just ignore it.

Alex Quintana wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Damo wrote:
>
> >just a few thoughts about gtkicq, that maybe could be implimented easily.
>
> >- file transfer would be nice but i s'pose you're working on that :)
>
> I don't think file transfer is so important, since (imho) the ICQ file
> transfer speed sucks :)

maybe it does.
but when contacting windows users, you have to contact them via the
normal
ICQ protocols. Additionaly, if you contact a GtkICQ user, you can then
send him files in any other protocol you wish.

OR - I recall icq having a way to use "outside apps" such as online
games and video chats. It could be a good idea to make an app for file
transfer to use the protocol you use in GtkICQ... :-)

> but, hm.. Even then, I think maybe a few things should come before file
> xfer.
>
> like, in the real ICQ, when you are not available, occupied, etc.. it acts
> a certain way when you send msgs.. like when you are occupied, it asks the
> sender to send the msg to your contact list or so, which apparently
> doesn't work, or so says one of my contacts :)
>
> hmm hey.. is there like some extra applet to DL or something to run GtkICQ
> from the panel? because when I go to run it from 'add applet' button
> nothing happens.. When I run it via command line or dock it appears on the
> panel, but it doesn't seem to treat it like an applet that is saved when
> you logout.
>
> >- maybe consider popping notify.au and message.au in the package?
>
> I think unfortunately this would break some lamo copyright thingies :I
>
> but you can get the ICQ and install under Wine, or I could send them to
> you :)

then use a similar copy  of them.
i.e. - instead of "ohoh" as message make "aha!" or something similar.