Setting parent to an applet

I've written a simple applet that contains only a labelled button.
When this button is clicked, a dialog pops up.  This all works fine.
I'd like to parent the dialog to the applet so that my window manager
will place the dialog near its parent applet.  I'm trying to use:

    gnome_dialog_set_parent(GnomeDialog *dialog, GtkWindow *parent)

but I can't figure out what to pass as the parent window in a case
like this where the parent is an applet.  None of the existing Gnome
applets do this, so my usual "grep the sources" technique doesn't help.

-- John Kodis.