Re: my shortlist of GNOME wishes

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 11:58:10PM -0500, Michael D. James wrote:
> > Just my two cents on the topic: Don't let learning curve get in the
> > way of ease of use. I do not know how to do this really, but I
> > thought I'd suggest it to the gurus to see if they had ideas.
>
> If this is an appropriate topic I'll throw in my own two cents.  The
> worst thing about most GUI environments is they don't lend themselves
> to scripting.
>
> Computers were supposed to help us automate things.  But on PCs I find
> myself doing a lot of manual repetitive tasks because I'm pointing and
> clicking instead of typing textual commands which could be put into a
> script.
>
> I don't know how to make a friendly GUI environment that is also
> friendly to automation.  If there's a solution, I'm sure you guys will
> find it.  One thing that comes to mind would be some way of viewing
> the command-line alternative to any series of actions in a GUI.
>
> Hmmmm.

I'm not a programmer, but a programmer and I talked once of something
like rebus works -- script attached to a GUI which could then be further
used to contruct larger units which would be set to a GUI.  The command
line and the GUIs covering earlier scripts could be combined, drag and
drop GUIS into command-lines.  Totally blue skying it, and we never went
beyond that, but that was the concept.