non-root accounts & "halt"/"reboot" options when logging out

I've just installed RedHat 6 (workstation cfg), running xdm.  Its intended use is such that I would like to have the users be able to shut it down or reboot it as they would a W95 box (it is in fact a dual boot with W95), without needing to know the root password.

Gnome, as installed by the RH6 installer, seems ready to support such a configuration, but it only works for the root account.  The Gnome user-guide seems to imply that this should work for users as well.

I've searched both the RedHat and Gnome web sites, and the online help without being able to find out for sure if a user should be able to exit Gnome with either the "halt" or "reboot" options, and if so what I need to do to make it work.  I expected this to be an FAQ, but apparently not....

FWIW, the user accounts were created with useradd, using the standard skeleton supplied by RH6.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew.
<andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au>