Icons (was: Where's all the movement?)

+++ Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 10:32:34PM +0100 +++
Eduardo Silva e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> I also agree that from this side it seems a bit like the development is
> slow... Of course, it maybe that hackers should hack, not talk
> about hacking:)

Indeed it seems like the project lacks infrastructure. Have a look at
Gnome's icons, for example. I've got a lot of packages installed:

[mawa@audrey]: /opt/gnome/share/pixmaps$ ls *.png *.xpm | wc
    141     141    2428
[mawa@audrey]: /opt/gnome/share/pixmaps$ cd mc
[mawa@audrey]: /opt/gnome/share/pixmaps/mc$ ls *.png *.xpm | wc
     69      69    1344

That makes for 210 icons, counting those of GMC in.

Now look at this:

[mawa@audrey]: /opt/kde/share/icons$ ls *.xpm | wc
    444     444    6710

KDE have got more than double the icons we've got. And this is an old
version; as everyone should now, they are repainting them all at the
moment. In high colour. They've got numerous artists working on this
in a well-coordinated team. AFAIK, they are painting more than
thousand icons. Thousand.

Gnome, on the other hand, seems to have got only one person doing
icons, and that's Tigert. When was the last time he painted an icon?
Maybe he's overworked with something else and needs help.  At times,
the KDE project has done a hundred icons a month.

I've talked to KDE's lead artist at LinuxTag (he's the one
coordinating the effort to turn KDE's ugly icons into nice high-colour
ones). One of the people working on his team once wanted to lend
Tigert a hand with the icons. I don't want to give Torsten Rahn's
opinion on this, and I don't want to say anything about Tigert, but
the fact remains that now the guy is working for KDE and not for us.

There's a problem somewhere.

mawa
--
Do your work in secret as long as possible; overt competence provokes
the corporate immune response.