Re: White Space (Re: UI suggestion: gnome-dock)

>I got one mail from someone who did not see the option to turn off toolbar
>labels.  Just uncheck "toolbars have text labels" checkbutton on the
>"Application Defaults" capplet in the "User Interface Options" section of
>the control center.

Hehehe, I think I was the "someone"... but I am the other side: only text,
no icons. Btw: what control center? RH6 does not have that (at least my
RH6). New in latest Gnome upgrades?

>Also, you can turn off menu item and standard dialog button pixmaps from
>this capplet, which should further reduce screen real estate usage.

Sometimes screen real state. Other just "garbage" (for me), bored of icons
everywhere... I find them distracting (just personal dislike).

>If you have a small display and have not made these changes, try it out
>and see if it makes GNOME better for you.  If you can't remember what the
>toolbar buttons do, there is always the tooltips.

I do not have a small display (OK, middle size, 'all ppl seem to have 21"'
;] ). The problem I see is that NT at 800 * 600 seems to put more things
than Gnome with X at 1152 * 864. The monitor is a (decent quality) 17".
Current themes are not well designed, I guess (for me, again).

I prefer text over icons. I always understand faster "Cut" than "8<".

>As for other parts of gnome, I have sometimes wondered what a "tiny theme
>engine" would be like.  Basically it would be the standard theme engine,
>but reduces the extra padding on some of the widgets.  This together with
>a smaller default font (which can be selected from the theme selector
>capplet) should give more space for notebook screens.

I guess we need some "a la MacOS HCI doc" where ideas for default themes are
covered (again, not the MacOS sizes or ideas, but the spirit). So anybody
who wants to design a theme has some advices and not just "I am the designer
and it looks nice in my monitor, the problem is your monitor / video card /
computer".

GSR